HILL CITY, Kan. (AP) — Authorities say a 29-year-old man killed his father and stepsister last week in northwestern Kansas before killing himself.
The Kansas Bureau of Investigation and Graham County Sheriff’s office released more details about Thursday’s shooting over the weekend.
Authorities say Efren Mascarenas Jr. killed his 52-year-old father, Efren Mascarenas Sr., and stepsister, 28-year-old Christin Cantrell, in northeast Graham County. Both victims lived in the small town of Penokee, Kansas.
Later police found the younger Mascarenas’s body with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
Kansas Department of Corrections records show Mascarenas has three prior convictions for aggravated battery and another for interference with law enforcement. He was released from prison in February of 2017 and his post-release expired in August.