DOVER, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire authorities say minutes after a man was sentenced to prison for sexually assaulting a 4-year-old girl, he was attacked in the courtroom by another prisoner.
WMUR-TV reports Christopher Elwell was sentenced in Dover on Thursday to 7 ½ years to 15 years in prison and has to register as a sex offender. As he sat down after his sentencing, Josiah Davies headbutted him multiple times. The station caught what happened on video; Elwell did not appear to be injured.
Authorities say Davies was shackled and was awaiting arraignment and a hearing on a probation violation.
The Strafford County Attorney’s Office said the two didn’t know each other and that it must have been something about Elwell’s case that set Davies off.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?
- Large explosions rock Russian military air base in Crimea
The county sheriff’s office is investigating the incident.
Information from: WMUR-TV, http://wmur.com