VALLEJO, Calif. (AP) — A coroner’s inquest jury has concluded that a machete-wielding man shot by Vallejo police committed suicide.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports Friday that jurors found Jeffrey Barboa responsible for taking his own life.
The 45-year-old Benicia man was shot 41 times last August. Police say they tried to stop his car in connection with an armed robbery, leading to a high-speed chase that ended with Barboa leaving the car and advancing on officers with the machete held over his head.
The East Bay Times says in the months leading up to his death, Barboa had been a suspect in nearly a dozen crimes and an autopsy found that he had a significant amount of methamphetamine in his system.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Florida athletes could be required to submit their menstrual history to schools
- Should you be worried about infection from eye drops?
- Chinese balloon soars across US; Blinken scraps Beijing trip
- Sorry, not sorry: Some 1/6 rioters change tune after apology
- Soaring Russian death toll gives grim insight into Moscow's tactics in Ukraine