MILWAUKEE (AP) — A jury has convicted a 19-year-old man in the shotgun slaying of a Milwaukee city inspector during a failed carjacking.
Jurors on Wednesday found Deshaun Scott guilty of the lesser charge of felony murder in the killing of 64-year-old Greg “Ziggy” Zyszkiewicz (zihz-KAY’-vich) last year. Scott was charged with first-degree reckless homicide with a dangerous weapon.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports jurors were instructed if they couldn’t convict Scott of that offense, they could still find him guilty of felony murder.
Prosecutors alleged that Scott shot Zyszkiewicz as he sat in his Ford Mustang during a work day on March 22, 2017.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Body of missing famed U.S. extreme skier recovered in Nepal
- What are ultra-processed foods? What should I eat instead?
- Fact check: The false claim that Senate GOP seeks ‘to end Social Security and Medicare’
- U.S. mountaineer’s body found two days after avalanche on peak in Nepal
- Daylight saving ends soon. Wait, didn't lawmakers vote to end this?
Scott was 17 at the time of the murder. His sentencing is scheduled for July 30.
Two other men are charged with felony murder in Zyszkiewicz’s death.