MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) — A judge has refused to close a sentencing hearing for a woman charged with sexually abusing a child at her Mason City in-home day care.
Thirty-one-year-old Tawny Symonds had submitted a written Alford plea in Cerro Gordo County District Court to child endangerment after prosecutors agreed to drop sexual abuse and assault charges. Under an Alford plea, a defendant does not admit guilt but acknowledges the state likely can prove the charge.
Her attorney had moved to close the sentencing, but state prosecutors objected.
Symonds’ sentencing has been rescheduled to Feb. 12.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion
- Supreme Court expands gun rights, with nation divided
- Government to cancel $6 billion in student loans for defrauded borrowers
- He stole a patrol vehicle, officials say — then responded to an emergency
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events