TULSA, Okla. (AP) — A judge in Oklahoma has ruled that a former senior airman suspected of setting off a pipe bomb outside an Air Force recruiting office will be forced to take medication to restore his competency to stand trial on explosives charges.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Frank McCarthy ordered Tuesday that anti-psychotic drugs be given to 29-year-old Benjamin Roden. Whitney Mauldin, Roden’s attorney, says Roden likely will be injected with the drugs if he refuses to take the medication.
McCarthy previously determined Roden wasn’t competent to stand trial for the July 10 explosion in the Tulsa suburb of Bixby. No one was hurt.
Prosecutor Allen Litchfield says Roden refused to leave his cell to appear at Tuesday’s video conference hearing from the North Carolina federal medical facility where he’s being treated.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Oregon wheat farmers try to stop fire that's consuming crops VIEW
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- ‘You’re a daredevil girl!’ U.S. details Russian woman’s quest to sway NRA, GOP to do Moscow’s bidding
- Sheriff: 11 people dead after Missouri tourist boat accident
- Trump says Air Force One to get red, white and blue makeover