TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — A judge in Ohio has told a woman found guilty of aggravated murder in the death of a badly abused 4-year-old girl that she hopes the woman “will die in prison.”
The Blade reports (http://bit.ly/2szLHc8 ) that 25-year-old Bridgett White entered an Alford plea on Thursday, which means she doesn’t admit to the charge but acknowledges there’s evidence to convict her. Her attorney declined to comment after the hearing in Toledo.
Sentencing is next month.
Prosecutors say Aaliyah Smith weighed 30 pounds and had cocaine and heroin in her system when she was found dead in White’s home in November. White cared for the girl while her father worked.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
Prosecutors say wounds show Aaliyah had been burned and struck, and believe the girl was locked in a dog cage as punishment.
Information from: The Blade, http://www.toledoblade.com/