AMMAN, Jordan (AP) — A Jordanian government official and the state news agency Petra say Iraq has closed the only border crossing between the two countries.
Iraqi officials were not available for comment Thursday.
Much of the area between the Trebil crossing and the Iraqi capital of Baghdad is controlled by Islamic State militants, and travel there is dangerous.
A prolonged border closure would mean a further blow to the Jordanian economy because it cuts off another export route. In the spring, Jordan closed its trade crossing with Syria after Islamic militants seized it.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- After leading a 153-person hike in the Grand Canyon, a Washington health-care exec faces federal charges
- Why the world's most vaccinated country is seeing an unprecedented spike in coronavirus cases
- 4 ex-cops indicted on US civil rights charges in Floyd death
- Mom who gave birth on flight didn't know she was pregnant
Petra said Thursday that Jordanian drivers are being urged not to head to the Iraqi border.
A Jordanian official confirmed the report. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss closure details with the media.