AMMAN, Jordan (AP) — The interiors of two mosques at a sensitive Jerusalem holy site will be exempt from monitoring by security cameras, Jordan’s king said in an apparent attempt to allay Palestinian concerns about his plan to install the cameras at the sprawling hilltop compound.
The 37-acre (15 -hectare) site has been at the heart of the current round of Israeli-Palestinian violence.
Jordan, the custodian of the site, last month proposed camera monitoring in efforts to defuse tensions. Israel welcomed the plan but the idea was met by Palestinian criticism.
Although Israel and Jordan initially said cameras would be installed within days, the plan now appears delayed, with Jordan’s King Abdullah II saying they wouldn’t be in place for some six weeks.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Washington health-care exec vowed to follow COVID rules. Then he led a 153-person Grand Canyon hike, rangers say.
- Florida middle school killer dies in prison at 31
- The girl in the Kent State photo and the lifelong burden of being a national symbol
- Can you have alcohol after the COVID vaccine?
- Affluent Americans rush to retire in new 'life-is-short' mindset
“To be very clear, there will be no cameras inside the mosque,” Abdullah said in remarks broadcast on Jordan’s state TV Wednesday evening.
The fate of the walled compound in Jerusalem — known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary — is at the heart of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It is the holiest site in Judaism and was home to biblical Jewish Temples. Muslims believe it is the spot where the Prophet Muhammad ascended to heaven. It is the third-holiest site in Islam and houses the Al-Aqsa Mosque and gold-topped Dome of the Rock.
Israeli police and Palestinian protesters often clash there. The current wave of violence erupted in mid-September, fueled by rumors that Israel was trying to increase Jewish presence there. Under a decades-old arrangement, non-Muslims can visit the site but are not allowed to pray there.
Israel has vehemently denied the allegations, but Palestinians point to an increase in visits by extremist Jews backed by hard-line Israeli legislators.
The plan to introduce cameras at the site was suggested by Jordan and announced by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry during a diplomatic push last month to quell the violence.
Israel praised the idea, saying it would help counter the Palestinian claims that it is trying to change the status quo. But the Palestinians said Israel would use the cameras to spy on and arrest people.
There was no immediate Israeli response to Abdullah’s remarks.
Beyond the video surveillance, Kerry last month also announced other understandings, including Israel fully respecting Jordan’s “special role” as custodian of the site, upholding the ban on non-Muslim prayer and its commitment not to divide the site and to reject any attempt to suggest otherwise.
It was hoped that Jordan’s engagement could go a long way in easing the tensions. Israel captured the holy site from Jordan in the 1967 Mideast war.
But under a longstanding arrangement, Jordan maintains custodial rights over the Muslim holy sites through an organization called the Waqf, and since signing a peace treaty with Israel in 1994, has often served as a mediator.
Abdullah said the cameras would be brought from Jordan and that the plan was to build a control room in the compound under control of the Waqf that would provide a feed to Jordan. It was not clear what Israel’s role in the surveillance would be.
The current outburst of violence began in Jerusalem then quickly spread across Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. Eleven Israelis have been killed in Palestinian attacks, while 71 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire— 45 of them said by Israel to be attackers and the remainder killed in clashes with Israeli troops.
In the latest incident, a Palestinian with a knife was shot and killed when he tried to stab Israeli soldiers at a bus stop in the West Bank, the military said Thursday evening.
Meanwhile, Palestinians gave a hero’s welcome on Thursday to released prisoner Mohammed Allan, who had staged an unprecedented 66-day hunger strike over the summer, in protest of his one-year detention by Israel without charge.
Allan was welcomed home by friends and family in the West Bank village of Einabus. He was released late Wednesday after completing his second six-month term. Israel’s Supreme Court suspended Allan’s detention in August as his health had deteriorated. But once his condition had improved, he was rearrested and relaunched his hunger strike.
Allan’s plight sparked outrage among Palestinians. His case brought attention to Israel’s policy of detaining suspects without trial or charge as well as a contentious force-feeding law that critics say amounts to torture.
Associated Press writers Tia Goldenberg in Jerusalem and Mohammed Daraghmeh in Ramallah, West Bank contributed to this report.