NEW YORK (AP) — Fox Sports announcer Joe Buck says nerve damage he sustained during hair restoration surgery was responsible for a vocal cord injury he battled in 2011.
Buck is coming clean in a new memoir after publicly blaming the loss of his voice on a virus that hit the laryngeal nerve of his left vocal cord. Sports Illustrated reports that Buck writes that he believes a cuff the surgery center used to protect him damaged the cord.
Buck tells SI.com that he lied because the truth was “embarrassing.”
Buck says the hair procedure was his eighth since beginning hair replacement treatment in 1993 at the age of 24.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A North Carolina teen didn't come home. An iPhone app led her mother to a ravine.
- Severed head of prehistoric wolf found in Siberia, perfectly preserved
- High court avoids new case over same-sex wedding cake
- Egypt's ousted president Morsi dies in court during trial VIEW
- High court lets Virginia voting go ahead under redrawn map
He describes himself as “a hair plug addict.” He says he hasn’t had a procedure since 2011, but is open to undergoing another.