JOPLIN, Mo. (AP) — A former employee of the Jasper School District pleaded guilty to embezzling more than $145,000.
Prosecutors say 55-year-old Karla Justice, of Columbus, Kansas, pleaded guilty Wednesday to wire fraud and credit card fraud.
She was head bookkeeper for the district from 2009 until she resigned in 2016.
The Joplin Globe reports she authorized more than $80,000 in extra pay for herself between 2014 and 2017. Justice, who is also known as Karla Jessee, also added more than $6,000 to her retirement account and made about $14,000 in payments for transactions unrelated to education.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Trump backs down under fire, 'clarifies' on Russia meddling WATCH
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
Prosecutors say Justice also opened a Home Depot credit card and made personal purchases of more than $2,100 using district funds.
Information from: The Joplin (Mo.) Globe, http://www.joplinglobe.com