FLORENCE, Ariz. (AP) — A jail inmate in Arizona is hospitalized after authorities say he pulled one of his eyeballs out of its socket.
Sheriff’s officials in Pinal County, just southeast of Phoenix, say Colin Corkhill, of Scottsdale, was booked into jail Wednesday on suspicion of attempted murder, auto theft, aggravated assault and resisting arrest.
The 26-year-old was originally housed in a cell with other inmates, but detention officers saw him punch himself in the face, so he was placed in a cell by himself under a mental health watch.
Officials say detention officers making routine cell checks Thursday night saw blood on the window of Corkhill’s cell door and found that he had pulled his right eyeball out of its socket with his fingers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Honestie Hodges, whose mistreatment by police led to changes, dies of COVID. She was 14.
- You should probably replace some of your fabric face masks
- Secret Hasidic wedding in Brooklyn draws thousands of guests, $15K fine
- Trump pardons Flynn despite guilty plea in Russia probe
- Trump vents about election as agencies aid Biden transition
Doctors were unable to save the man’s eye.