FLORENCE, Ariz. (AP) — A jail inmate in Arizona is hospitalized after authorities say he pulled one of his eyeballs out of its socket.
Sheriff’s officials in Pinal County, just southeast of Phoenix, say Colin Corkhill, of Scottsdale, was booked into jail Wednesday on suspicion of attempted murder, auto theft, aggravated assault and resisting arrest.
The 26-year-old was originally housed in a cell with other inmates, but detention officers saw him punch himself in the face, so he was placed in a cell by himself under a mental health watch.
Officials say detention officers making routine cell checks Thursday night saw blood on the window of Corkhill’s cell door and found that he had pulled his right eyeball out of its socket with his fingers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. warns against travel to 80% of world due to coronavirus
- The 12 jurors deliberating in the trial of Derek Chauvin
- Tesla with 'no one' driving crashes in Texas, killing two people
- Image of Queen Elizabeth II sitting alone at Philip's funeral breaks hearts around the world
- COVID once spared the young. Now more are being hospitalized.
Doctors were unable to save the man’s eye.