VISTA, Calif. (AP) — A drunken California motorist who drove more than a mile (1.6 kilometers) with the body of the man she hit in the front seat of the car has been sentenced to 15 years to life in prison.
The San Diego Union-Tribune says 31-year-old Esteysi Sanchez was sentenced Wednesday for the 2016 death of a homeless man she hit after drunkenly driving onto a sidewalk in the city of Oceanside after a night of partying.
Prosecutors say 69-year-old Jack Tenhulzen was struck so hard that he was knocked out of his pants and shoes and one foot was severed.
His body smashed through the car windshield into the passenger seat.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI searched estate in major escalation of probe
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.
Sanchez was convicted in April of second-degree murder and other charges.
She sobbed in court and apologized for the death.