BERLIN (AP) — Twin baby pandas born in August at the Vienna zoo finally have names.
The male is called Fu Ban, meaning Lucky Companion. The female was named Fu Feng, or Lucky Phoenix. About 12,000 people voted from a selection of names.
The pandas were the fourth and fifth cubs born to mother Yang Yang, after Fu Long, Fu Hu and Fu Bao.
Schoenbrunn Zoo director Dagmar Schratter said Thursday because Yang Yang’s first cub’s name, Fu Long, means Lucky Dragon, the zoo had already decided to name the new girl after the phoenix.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- You should probably replace some of your fabric face masks
- Honestie Hodges, whose mistreatment by police led to changes, dies of COVID. She was 14.
- Trump pardons Flynn despite guilty plea in Russia probe
- Secret Hasidic wedding in Brooklyn draws thousands of guests, $15K fine
- A Trump-boosting sheriff earned White House visits. Now she's charged with theft.
In Chinese mythology, the dragon represented the emperor and the phoenix the empress.
The zoo says the two are doing well, with Fu Feng now weighing 4.26 kilograms (9.39 pounds) and Fu Ban 3.97 kilograms (8.75 pounds).