A video of the corpse-filled interior of a sunken fishing vessel that sank last month off Libya appears to confirm survivor accounts indicating some 800 smuggled migrants died, prosecutors in Sicily said Friday.
ROME — A navy video of the corpse-filled interior of a sunken fishing boat that capsized last month off Libya, coupled with survivor testimony, makes plausible fears that some 800 smuggled migrants died in the shipwreck, prosecutors in Sicily said Friday.
Only 28 survivors, including one suspected smuggler and his alleged assistant, and 24 bodies were found in the Mediterranean in the rescue mission involving a container ship which was first on the scene. The suspects are being investigated for manslaughter, causing the shipwreck and aiding and abetting illegal immigration.
“The dimensions of the fishing boat, documented in the inspection of the ship, the imprecise but very high number of corpses able to be seen inside the wreck or right nearby, the convergent statements by survivors, indicate there were quite a few hundred persons, perhaps 800,” the prosecutors’ office said in a statement.
The prosecutors said the video of the undersea wreck’s inspection will remain sealed to “protect the dignity of the deceased.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Inside the world of Buy Nothing, where dryer lint is a hot commodity
- Cheney’s consultants are given an ultimatum: Drop her, or be dropped
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Biden's critics hurl increasingly vulgar taunts
- Far-right anti-government group grows significantly, report says
“The fishing boat was crammed in every corner, including interior, closed spaces, with migrants,” they said.
The shipwreck galvanized the European Union to devise a strategy to combat the smuggling, which has brought tens of thousands of migrants to Italy after sea rescues this year alone.
On Friday, hundreds of the 2,200 migrants who were rescued in 11 separate operations coordinated by the Italian coast guard a day earlier, reached land.
Prosecutors in Catania said the last of the survivors from last month’s shipwreck to give testimony was a man from Bangladesh who was hospitalized for health problems he had before the capsizing.
Names and nationalities of the dead appear likely never to be known.
“It is not possible to establish the precise number of women and children, and not even their countries of origin,” the prosecutors said.
They noted that a similar fishing boat rescued by the navy last year had more than 870 migrants aboard.
In the hours after the capsizing, some survivors said smugglers had locked hundreds of migrants in the hold. But prosecutors said Friday that although the doors were closed, they weren’t locked.
Aided by the navy’s undersea inspection, investigators determined at least one door was open and secured to the bulkhead. Two survivors later testified they were able to emerge from the hold and move to the deck. As a result, prosecutors dropped an initial accusation of kidnapping against the suspects.