MADRID (AP) — Spain’s Princess of Asturias prize for sports this year has been awarded to two European mountain climbers — Italian Reinhold Messner and Poland’s Krzysztof Wielicki.
The judges said Wednesday the pair embody the essence of mountain-climbing, setting new levels of accomplishment and providing inspiration for younger generations.
Messner was one of the first two climbers to scale Mount Everest without supplementary oxygen, 40 years ago.
Wielicki led an expedition earlier this year to make the first winter ascent of K2, the world’s second-highest peak. Severe weather denied the climbers their goal, but Wielicki has vowed to try again.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
The 50,000-euro ($59,000) award is one of eight Asturias prizes handed out yearly by a foundation named for Crown Princess Leonor. Others categories include art, social sciences and scientific research.