MADRID (AP) — Spain’s Princess of Asturias prize for sports this year has been awarded to two European mountain climbers — Italian Reinhold Messner and Poland’s Krzysztof Wielicki.
The judges said Wednesday the pair embody the essence of mountain-climbing, setting new levels of accomplishment and providing inspiration for younger generations.
Messner was one of the first two climbers to scale Mount Everest without supplementary oxygen, 40 years ago.
Wielicki led an expedition earlier this year to make the first winter ascent of K2, the world’s second-highest peak. Severe weather denied the climbers their goal, but Wielicki has vowed to try again.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Harry and Meghan in exile? Palace reportedly eyes Africa move for couple — 'as far away as possible' from William
- Sri Lanka military gets special powers after deadly bombings VIEW
- Elusive red sprites, like glowing jellyfish in the night sky, photographed in Oklahoma
- Claims of shoddy production draw scrutiny to a second Boeing jet
- SpaceX suffers serious setback with crew capsule accident
The 50,000-euro ($59,000) award is one of eight Asturias prizes handed out yearly by a foundation named for Crown Princess Leonor. Others categories include art, social sciences and scientific research.