BAGHDAD (AP) — The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for a double suicide attack that killed 11 people.
In an online statement issued on Tuesday, the extremist group says two suicide bombers on Monday targeted Shiites in Baghdad’s southeastern suburb of Nahrawan. The authenticity of the statement could not be immediately verified by The Associated Press.
Iraqi officials said two attackers started shooting civilians in a popular shopping area, before blowing themselves up. They spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to release information.
IS has carried out insurgent-style attacks in Iraq as the extremists have slowly lost territory across the country over the past three years.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Flooding washes away Kentucky coal country stalwarts