TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s state TV is reporting that the country’s elite Revolutionary Guard has targeted bases belonging to the Islamic State group in eastern Syria with drone strikes.
IRINN TV’s report says the IRGC’s drones destroyed IS bases and vehicles in the southern and eastern parts of Deir el-Zour province, near the Iraqi border, without elaborating. The strikes also killed a large number IS militants, according to the report.
The report added that the strikes were part of the Fajr-3 operation to clear the Syria-Iraq border of the extremists.
Earlier in June, the IRGC launched six missiles into eastern Syria targeting Islamic State militants in response to a June attack on Iran’s parliament and a shrine in Tehran that killed at least 17 people and wounded more than 50.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Colorado homeowner emptied pistol to kill bear that broke in
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events