DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa’s Department of Natural Resources is cancelling hikes at 27 state parks that had been scheduled for New Year’s Day because of frigid temperatures.
State Parks Bureau Chief Todd Coffelt said in a Friday statement that the agency is disappointed to cancel the events. But he said the goal is to ensure hikers’ safety.
The National Weather Service is warning of hazardous weather conditions as a deep freeze sets in.
Coffelt said Iowa is planning New Year’s Day hikes again next year.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- 6 dead, 30 hurt in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade
- Once a crucial refuge, ‘gayborhoods’ lose LGBTQ appeal in major cities
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to