LOS ANGELES (AP) — Iowa native Maddie Poppe has won “American Idol.”
The singer-songwriter bested Caleb Lee Hutchinson and Gabby Barrett in Monday night’s two-hour finale on ABC.
Poppe and Hutchinson announced on the program that they’re dating, surprising judges Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie. They then performed “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”
Poppe called the experience incredible.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Donald Trump stored, showed off and refused to return classified documents, indictment says WATCH
- Man who set Indiana Jones-like trap in Oregon convicted after hurting FBI agent
- He’s 14, just graduated Santa Clara University and about to join SpaceX in Redmond
- What to know about the Trump classified documents investigation
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Hutchinson took to Twitter to congratulate Poppe.
The three judges performed during the finale along with Patti LaBelle, Nick Jonas and Mustard, Bebe Rexha, Darius Rucker, Gary Clark Jr., Yolanda Adams and Kermit the Frog.