LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — IOC President Thomas Bach says he wants to change the Olympic host city bidding procedure because it “produces too many losers.”
Bach’s comments came on the same day the IOC executive board cleared all three candidate cities for the 2024 Olympics — Paris, Los Angeles and Budapest, Hungary — to advance to the next stage of the race.
Bach did not categorically rule out the possibility of awarding the hosting rights for two games at once — 2024 and 2028 — when the IOC votes next September in Lima, Peru.
Bach said at a news conference “it is not the purpose of an Olympic candidature procedure to produce losers.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Ex-policeman charged with decades-old serial killings VIEW
- 'Tase me, and you'll see what happens,' an American Airlines flier said. Police did — 10 times.
- 'The real Bill Cosby': Comedian convicted of sexual assault VIEW
- He froze to death inside a multimillion-dollar town house — and now the state is investigating
- A lynching memorial is opening in Alabama. The country has never seen anything like it VIEW
He said the goal is “to produce the best possible host for an Olympic Games.”
Asked about speculation the IOC could award the 2024 and 2028 games at the same time, he said: “Let us study this question, which is not an easy one.”