LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — IOC President Thomas Bach says he wants to change the Olympic host city bidding procedure because it “produces too many losers.”
Bach’s comments came on the same day the IOC executive board cleared all three candidate cities for the 2024 Olympics — Paris, Los Angeles and Budapest, Hungary — to advance to the next stage of the race.
Bach did not categorically rule out the possibility of awarding the hosting rights for two games at once — 2024 and 2028 — when the IOC votes next September in Lima, Peru.
Bach said at a news conference “it is not the purpose of an Olympic candidature procedure to produce losers.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Turkey: 'Atrocious' recording suggests killer used drugs VIEW
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- A reader's guide to 12 Trump administration targets House Democrats are preparing to investigate
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
He said the goal is “to produce the best possible host for an Olympic Games.”
Asked about speculation the IOC could award the 2024 and 2028 games at the same time, he said: “Let us study this question, which is not an easy one.”