CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — Authorities blame discarded smoking materials for an apartment fire that killed a Cedar Rapids man.
Cedar Rapids Fire Department investigators on Tuesday said the smoking materials ignited a chair inside the apartment, causing the Saturday morning fire.
When firefighters entered the apartment, they found 57-year-old Thomas Jones inside, near the chair.
Jones was taken to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City, where he died Saturday afternoon.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- When she named her breakfast cafe Woke, a conservative backlash followed
- A bear in Colorado took 400 selfies. Fashion pros say they're a star
- Priscilla Presley files petition questioning validity of Lisa Marie Presley’s will
- George Santos scandal consumes Congress, chafes lawmakers on both sides of aisle