CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — Authorities blame discarded smoking materials for an apartment fire that killed a Cedar Rapids man.
Cedar Rapids Fire Department investigators on Tuesday said the smoking materials ignited a chair inside the apartment, causing the Saturday morning fire.
When firefighters entered the apartment, they found 57-year-old Thomas Jones inside, near the chair.
Jones was taken to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City, where he died Saturday afternoon.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine