CRAWFORDSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — An insanity defense is planned for a central Indiana woman who admitted fatally stabbing her young son and daughter.
Thirty-year-old Brandi Worley of Darlington has pleaded not guilty to murder charges. She was treated for self-inflicted stab wounds to the neck after the Nov. 17 attack that left 7-year-old Tyler and 3-year-old Charlee dead.
Her lawyer recently made a request about the planned defense. A mental evaluation must be completed this month. A competency hearing is set for Aug. 7.
Court documents say Worley told police she used a combat knife to kill the children and stab herself because she didn’t want her husband to take their children.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 panel calls surprise hearing to present new evidence
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Aide: Trump dismissed Jan. 6 threats, wanted to join crowd
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years for helping Epstein
- Justices side with doctors convicted in pain pill schemes
Her husband, Jason Worley, had filed for divorce. He told officers he was asleep downstairs when his wife attacked their children.