SOLEDAD, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a 26-year-old inmate at a prison southeast of San Francisco is dead and his cellmate is considered a suspect.
Salinas Valley State Prison officials say George Argueta was found on the floor of his cell before noon Tuesday. He later died of multiple stab wounds to the upper chest.
Guards found an inmate-made weapon. They say his cellmate, 38-year-old Jacob Castro is considered a suspect.
Argueta was serving a 12-year sentence from Santa Cruz County for armed robbery.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Trump's remarks about changing European culture draw ire WATCH
- Meet the brains behind the 'Trump Baby' balloon
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
Castro is serving a life sentence for murder from Alameda County. He has an additional eight-year sentence for assault with a deadly weapon on an inmate.
The prison in Soledad houses about 3,600 minimum- and maximum-security inmates.