LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — The Nebraska State Patrol is investigating the knifing of an inmate at a Lincoln prison.
Prison officials say the attack occurred early Sunday afternoon at the Lincoln Correctional Center. The prisoner was stabbed several times with a homemade knife and hospitalized.
The Omaha World-Herald reports that Deidra Loyd says her grandson, Mikael Loyd, nearly died and had undergone surgery.
Mikael Loyd was convicted of second-degree murder for the 2013 strangling of his 19-year-old girlfriend, Melissa Rodriguez. He dumped her body in an open cemetery grave in Omaha. The 23-year-old has been serving a sentence of 30 to 35 years.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Trump backs down, says he misspoke on Russia meddling WATCH
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
Prison officials did not release the name of Loyd’s attacker.