CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) — An autopsy is being performed on 29-year-old man who died in a Florida jail.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s office said Stephen Gregory James was found unresponsive in his sleeping area Sunday morning.
Medical staff responded and administered CPR, but was unsuccessful. They called paramedics, but James was pronounced dead at 7:55 a.m.
Officials say the cause of his death is unclear and that there were no signs of injury. They added that his death didn’t follow confrontation or use of force.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amazon dumps NYC headquarters and its promised 25,000 jobs
- Too big to sell: Airbus bids pained adieu to superjumbo A380 VIEW
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Congress OKs border deal; Trump will sign, declare emergency WATCH
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
Deputies arrested James on Jan. 18 on charges of possession of PVP, an ingredient in the synthetic drugs known as bath salts and flakka, a violation of his probation after other drug charges. He had an arraignment scheduled for Feb. 9.