CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) — An autopsy is being performed on 29-year-old man who died in a Florida jail.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s office said Stephen Gregory James was found unresponsive in his sleeping area Sunday morning.
Medical staff responded and administered CPR, but was unsuccessful. They called paramedics, but James was pronounced dead at 7:55 a.m.
Officials say the cause of his death is unclear and that there were no signs of injury. They added that his death didn’t follow confrontation or use of force.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- CNN's Acosta back at White House after judge's ruling VIEW
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
- CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi's assassination
Deputies arrested James on Jan. 18 on charges of possession of PVP, an ingredient in the synthetic drugs known as bath salts and flakka, a violation of his probation after other drug charges. He had an arraignment scheduled for Feb. 9.