CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) — An autopsy is being performed on 29-year-old man who died in a Florida jail.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s office said Stephen Gregory James was found unresponsive in his sleeping area Sunday morning.
Medical staff responded and administered CPR, but was unsuccessful. They called paramedics, but James was pronounced dead at 7:55 a.m.
Officials say the cause of his death is unclear and that there were no signs of injury. They added that his death didn’t follow confrontation or use of force.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Trump backs down, says he misspoke on Russia meddling WATCH
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Trump says he accepts US intelligence on Russian interference in election but denies collusion
Deputies arrested James on Jan. 18 on charges of possession of PVP, an ingredient in the synthetic drugs known as bath salts and flakka, a violation of his probation after other drug charges. He had an arraignment scheduled for Feb. 9.