VICKSBURG, Miss. (AP) — A filmed assault on an inmate put part of a Mississippi jail on lockdown.
News outlets report that Warren County Sheriff Martin Pace says a fight among inmates took place Wednesday afternoon and resulted in one cell block being put on lockdown.
A video originally posted to Snapchat shows the inmate being pulled out of a cell by other inmates and then being punched and kicked. Pace says he will not identify the assaulted inmate until the investigation is complete.
Authorities are investigating both the assault and how the cellphone used to record it made its way into the jail, which could result in a felony charge.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Aide: Trump dismissed Jan. 6 threats, wanted to join crowd
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years for helping Epstein
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Trump tried to strangle Secret Service agent in attempt to reach Capitol on Jan. 6, aide testifies
- The story behind AP report that caused Trump to throw lunch
Pace says it’s too early to tell who will face additional charges.
The attacked inmate was treated and released back into custody.