LEAKESVILLE, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi corrections officials say an inmate serving a 30-year sentence for armed robbery has been pronounced dead at a prison hospital.
A state Department of Corrections news release says 57-year-old Eddie Shorty was found unconscious in his cell at the South Mississippi Correctional Institution in Leakesville and was pronounced dead around 4:10 a.m. Wednesday.
News outlets report that Shorty shared a cell with another inmate and was sentenced in DeSoto County in 1999.
The cause and the manner of his death are pending an autopsy.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Behind Jimmy Carter’s defeat, a clandestine trip and a four-decade secret
- Her mother disappeared. Then her babysitter. A lawman fears she might be next VIEW
- This dress survived for more than 3 centuries at the bottom of the sea
- Meet the raccoon dog, creature that could be behind COVID outbreak