LEAKESVILLE, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi corrections officials say an inmate serving a 30-year sentence for armed robbery has been pronounced dead at a prison hospital.
A state Department of Corrections news release says 57-year-old Eddie Shorty was found unconscious in his cell at the South Mississippi Correctional Institution in Leakesville and was pronounced dead around 4:10 a.m. Wednesday.
News outlets report that Shorty shared a cell with another inmate and was sentenced in DeSoto County in 1999.
The cause and the manner of his death are pending an autopsy.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
- A dam in Syria was on a ‘no-strike’ list. The U.S. bombed it anyway
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?