SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Public health officials say at least 93 people contracted a bacterial infection after eating at a San Francisco Bay Area restaurant and that 12 of those people have been hospitalized in intensive care.
The Santa Clara County Public Health Department issued a warning to people who ate at Mariscos San Juan on Friday or Saturday. The restaurant had its permit suspended and remained closed as of Sunday. One man has sued the restaurant.
The department says many of the people sickened over the weekend by the intestinal infection caused by the shigella bacteria have required admission to a hospital. Symptoms include fever, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County’s health officer, says shigella can be spread by people who do not wash their hands after using the bathroom.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Navy shares photos of enormous Arabian Sea weapons seizure
- Vatican warns US bishops over get-tough Communion proposals
- Fauci Says Indoor Mask Guidance Can ‘Start Being More Liberal’
- Melinda Gates reportedly met with divorce lawyers in 2019 ahead of split with Bill Gates
- An obscure Texas security company helped persuade Americans that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump
Calls to the restaurant rang unanswered Wednesday.