ELMONT, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a 2-year-old boy was seriously mauled and his mother was bitten by a pit bull on Long Island.
It happened at about noon Thursday in the front yard of a home in Elmont.
Nassau County police say the 36-year-old mother was carrying the infant in a car seat and knocked on the door of the home. When the resident opened the door, police say two pit bulls rushed out and one of them attacked the mother and then bit the child in the head and facial area.
Police tell Newsday that people working in the neighborhood helped pull the dog off the child.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Scary statistic: 90.5 percent of world's plastic is not recycled
- A Paradise fire cleanup crew joked about ruins and a charred cat. Then the town found out.
- Flynn sentencing abruptly postponed to allow for cooperation
- 'Republicans will never stop': Obama rips GOP after Affordable Care Act is ruled unconstitutional
- Retired Army general set to be tried on charges of abusing daughter
The boy was hospitalized in critical condition. The mother was treated for a serious leg wound.
Both dogs were taken to an animal shelter.
Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com