ELMONT, N.Y. (AP) — Police say a 2-year-old boy was seriously mauled and his mother was bitten by a pit bull on Long Island.
It happened at about noon Thursday in the front yard of a home in Elmont.
Nassau County police say the 36-year-old mother was carrying the infant in a car seat and knocked on the door of the home. When the resident opened the door, police say two pit bulls rushed out and one of them attacked the mother and then bit the child in the head and facial area.
Police tell Newsday that people working in the neighborhood helped pull the dog off the child.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'Unfair and unconstitutional': Outrage over detained migrant children intensifies
- 'Are you dead, sir?': Video shows ER doctor mocking patient who said he couldn't breathe WATCH
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Staff cuts at federal prisons have teachers, nurses guarding inmates
- Trump defiant as crisis grows over family separation at the border
The boy was hospitalized in critical condition. The mother was treated for a serious leg wound.
Both dogs were taken to an animal shelter.
Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com