INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The mother of a 3-year-old boy who fatally shot his 5-year-old sister in the head has been sentenced to one year of probation.
The Indianapolis woman also was ordered Friday to attend parenting and grief classes. WISH-TV reports (http://bit.ly/2sVkxYW ) she pleaded guilty in May to a charge of neglect of a dependent resulting in serious injury.
The shooting occurred Dec. 31. An affidavit says the woman put her purse on her bed in the master bedroom, and then put her children in their bedroom for a nap. While the woman slept on a couch, the 3-year-old grabbed the gun from her purse and shot his sister in the head.
The girl died three days later at an Indianapolis hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Aide: Trump dismissed Jan. 6 threats, wanted to join crowd
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years for helping Epstein
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Trump tried to strangle Secret Service agent in attempt to reach Capitol on Jan. 6, aide testifies
- The story behind AP report that caused Trump to throw lunch
The woman told detectives she thought the gun’s safety was engaged.