LANSING, Ill. (AP) — An Indiana woman has been charged after police say she accidentally shot her 5-year-old daughter during a party at a suburban Chicago home.
The (Northwest Indiana) Times reports Andrea Cunningham-Ellis of Griffith turned herself in to Lansing police on Tuesday. Police say she arrived with her attorney and refused to answer questions about the April 2 shooting.
Cunningham-Ellis is charged with one felony count of reckless conduct. She was scheduled to appear in court for a bond hearing Friday.
Police say Cunningham-Ellis was handling a gun during the party when it went off. A shot struck her daughter, who was sleeping.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A single word sparks a crossfire between the Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Last straw: Fed-up Arizona Democrats censure Sen. Sinema
The girl was taken to a Munster hospital and later transferred to Comer Children’s Hospital in Chicago. She’s since ben released and is recovering from her injuries.