EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — A federal judge has ordered an Indiana school district to allow a transgender student to use male bathrooms.
Judge William Lawrence signed an injunction Friday, just days before classes resume in the Evansville Vanderburgh school district.
The 17-year-old student sued after he was told to use the female restroom or bathrooms in the nurse’s office. He says his rights were violated .
School officials said the student could use the male bathroom if his birth certificate was changed to identify him as a male.
Most Read Stories
- Snohomish County man has the United States’ first known case of Wuhan coronavirus
- 5 of the Seattle area's most changed neighborhoods: We crunched the data on population, income, jobs
- 'We were before our time': Remembering the fight to change King County's namesake from a slave owner to a civil-rights leader VIEW
- How white families with young children can work to undo racism
- Spendy dinners and $79 haircuts: Tim Eyman isn't living like someone who's bankrupt, AG says
The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana says the student was born in a state that won’t do that unless a surgery takes place. The ACLU says the teen is under a doctor’s care and getting hormone therapy.
The teen says he experiences distress when forced to use the female restroom. The judge found the claims credible.
Information from: Evansville Courier & Press, http://www.courierpress.com