EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — A federal judge has ordered an Indiana school district to allow a transgender student to use male bathrooms.
Judge William Lawrence signed an injunction Friday, just days before classes resume in the Evansville Vanderburgh school district.
The 17-year-old student sued after he was told to use the female restroom or bathrooms in the nurse’s office. He says his rights were violated .
School officials said the student could use the male bathroom if his birth certificate was changed to identify him as a male.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 40% of people with coronavirus have no symptoms; might they be the key to ending the pandemic?
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Oregon trooper injured, 24 arrested in Portland protests VIEW
- Jerry Falwell Jr. will take an indefinite leave of absence from Liberty
- How accurate are virus tests? What's behind Ohio governor’s yes/no results.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana says the student was born in a state that won’t do that unless a surgery takes place. The ACLU says the teen is under a doctor’s care and getting hormone therapy.
The teen says he experiences distress when forced to use the female restroom. The judge found the claims credible.
Information from: Evansville Courier & Press, http://www.courierpress.com