TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (AP) — A 19-year-old Terre Haute man faces preliminary charges in the death of a high school student fatally shot during a party.
Nathan G. Derickson was arrested on a preliminary reckless homicide charge Wednesday in 17-year-old William Garett Sands’ death.
Vigo County prosecutors have 72 hours to file formal charges against Derickson, who’s being held on a $50,000 bond at the county jail.
An autopsy showed Sands died from a gunshot wound to the head.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Clu Gulager, rugged character actor of film and TV, dies at 93
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Flooding washes away Kentucky coal country stalwarts
Officers found the Terre Haute South Vigo High School student dead early Wednesday at a Terre Haute home where minors were drinking alcohol during a party.
Police say Derickson was playing with a gun when it discharged and Sands was struck.
WTHI-TV reports that police believe Derickson thought that he had unloaded the weapon.