MOSCOW (AP) — Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is coming to Moscow for a summit with President Vladimir Putin that is expected to focus on defense, nuclear and space cooperation.
Indian Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar says an array of agreements are being prepared for signature after the Thursday meeting, but did not give details. Modi is to arrive on Wednesday and have a private dinner hosted by Putin in the evening.
Russia and India have shared close ties since the Cold War. Although India remains a top customer for the Russian armaments industry, the country in recent years has tried to diversify its purchases, buying military hardware from the United States, France and Israel.
The leaders of India and Russia have held annual summits since 2000.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Scientists expected thawing wetlands in Siberia's permafrost. What they found is 'much more dangerous.'
- 'I should have gotten the damn vaccine,' woman says fiancé texted before he died of COVID-19
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Two travelers submitted fake vaccination cards before flying to Toronto. Each was fined nearly $16,000.
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough