NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — An Indian man has admitted he improperly touched a sleeping woman aboard a flight last year from Los Angeles to New Jersey.
Veerabhadrarao (VEER’-ah-bad-rah-roh) Kunam pleaded guilty Thursday to assault.
The 58-year-old resident of Visakhapatnam, India, was arrested in July after the Virgin America flight arrived in Newark.
Prosecutors say the woman awoke to find Kunam touching her genitals.
Most Read Stories
- Rebound with redemption: Huskies come back to beat Utah behind the unlikeliest of heroes
- Kickoff time, TV info announced for 110th Apple Cup
- Parents, adult son believed dead in Sammamish murder-suicide
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate
- Huskies won't repeat as Pac-12 champs, but their consolation prize? The game of the year
The woman alerted her male travel companion, who confronted Kunam. Investigators say Kunam offered to buy the man a drink. He declined and reported what happened to a flight crew member.
Kunam faces 30 to 60 days in prison and up to 90 days in an inpatient alcohol treatment center as part of a plea agreement. He will be sentenced March 22 in federal court in Newark.