HOUSTON (AP) — A Jordanian immigrant convicted in two deaths prosecutors described as “honor killings” has testified in his own defense for a second time and said witnesses had lied.
The Houston Chronicle reports Ali Mahwood-Awad Irsan testified Friday he constantly gave other people gifts and treated his daughters “like princesses.” Irsan was convicted last month in Texas in the deaths of his son-in-law and his daughter’s friend who had encouraged the marriage.
His first wife and a daughter had testified that Irsan raped them and subjected them to years of abuse.
Irsan is expected to be the last witness in the trial. The jury must determine whether he will be given life in prison without parole or the death penalty.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- WSU police chief, 2 others retire after internal investigation
- Historians privately warn Biden that America's democracy is teetering