NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A judge in New Orleans is fighting an unspecified illness and her seat will be temporarily filled by a retired jurist.
Multiple media outlets reports retired Judge Melvin Zeno will fill Orleans Parish Civil District Court Judge Clare Jupiter’s seat for three months beginning Jan. 16.
Court spokesman Walt Pierce said Wednesday that specifics about Jupiter’s health weren’t available but that her family asked for “prayers and respect for their privacy.”
Zeno spent 16 years on the bench of Jefferson Parish’s 24th Judicial District Court in Gretna before retiring in 2008. State Supreme Court Chief Justice Bernette Johnson on Tuesday signed the order for him to temporarily take over Jupiter’s duties.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling