A statement released by Carter’s nonprofit foundation, the Carter Center, said he “was not feeling well” and needed to return to Atlanta. He was in Guyana to monitor Monday’s general election.

Share story

Former President Jimmy Carter ended an election-monitoring trip to Guyana early and flew home on Sunday after falling ill, the Carter Center, his nonprofit organization, said in a statement.

The Carter Center provided only sketchy information on Sunday about the condition of the 90-year-old former president.

In its statement, the center said Carter “was not feeling well,” and on Twitter it described him as “under the weather.”

Carter arrived in Guyana on Saturday to participate in a delegation monitoring the South American country’s general election, which will be Monday. Although he will no longer be part of that mission, his foundation said he remained “hopeful” about the vote.

The Carter Center also said it hoped Guyana would engage in “a peaceful process before, during and after the election.”

Donald Ramotar, the president of Guyana, announced the election in January, two months after he suspended Parliament to avoid a no-confidence vote.

His People’s Progressive Party has been in power for more than two decades but was unable to win a majority in Parliament in 2011 because of the rise of a multiethnic third party.

Guyanese politics has historically been dominated by two parties that draw support from the country’s two largest racial groups, the descendants of Africans and the descendants of South Asians.

Carter founded the Carter Center with his wife, Rosalynn Carter, in 1982. It works on human-rights and humanitarian issues in more than 80 countries. It has monitored 99 elections in 38 countries, according to the center’s website.

The election Monday would have been the 39th foreign election in which Carter had acted as an observer.

In a 2013 interview with The Washington Post, Carter said his work overseas was made possible by a positive outlook, good health and even better fortune. He was an avid runner until his knees gave out when he was 80, he said.

“I have been extremely lucky,” Carter said.