SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Illinois residents are invited to help choose the 200 greatest people, place and things in state history as part of Illinois’ bicentennial celebration.
The public will get to cast votes online for a new category every two weeks. By early December voters will have selected 10 favorites in 20 categories.
Voting opened Monday on the first category, top movies. Those results will be announced March 5, when voting will begin on the second category.
Other categories include top museums, musicians, scenic spots and inventions.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
Online voting is being coordinated by the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum, The State Journal-Register and the Illinois Bicentennial Commission. Museum Director Alan Lowe says “Illinois has made huge contributions to the world” and it’s time to celebrate them.