CHICAGO (AP) — The application system is scheduled to reopen next week for Illinois families wanting to apply for the state’s new private school scholarship program.
The Belleville News-Democrat reports that Empower Illinois, one of the organizations overseeing the Tax Credit Scholarship program, says the application system will reopen Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. The system crashed Jan. 31, the first day applications were accepted. Empower Illinois said the crash was due to extreme demand.
Empower Illinois officials say they’re now making the application a two-step process. Families will fill out an online form and then will receive an emailed link to complete their application within three days.
Lawmakers approved the controversial $75 million tax credit program last year as part of a school funding overhaul. It’s available through the Invest in Kids Act.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- George Santos is accused of sexual harassment in his Capitol office
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Metal detector hobbyist finds a 500-year-old pendant linked to Henry VIII
- Florida athletes could be required to submit their menstrual history to schools
Information from: Belleville News-Democrat, http://www.bnd.com