SANDPOINT, Idaho (AP) — A northern Idaho man who authorities said engaged in a drug-fueled crime spree that crossed state lines was sentenced to 20 years in prison.
Steven Michael Gervasi was sentenced Tuesday after reaching a plea agreement, which reduced his charges to aggravated assault on a law officer, burglary, grand theft, unlawful firearm possession and methamphetamine possession, the Bonner County Daily Bee reported .
Gervasi, 27, was charged with multiple felonies in Idaho and Washington following his crime spree that started with a burglary of relative’s home in May 2016. Authorities said he then robbed and shot at a woman and set a rural Idaho home on fire.
A Bonner County deputy then pursued Gervasi into eastern Washington. Gervasi fired upon the deputy and escaped, but he was arrested a few days later, authorities said.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Couple killed in crash driving to their wedding
- CNN drops suit against White House after Jim Acosta's press pass is fully restored
As trials neared in both states, Gervasi entered into civil mediation that resulted in the plea agreement. Gervasi must serve 12 years in prison before he can be considered for parole.
Doug Phelps, Gervasi’s attorney, said the defense agreed to the deal with prosecutors in order to provide a degree of certainty at sentencing.
“If anything, this case is a sad statement of the effects of methamphetamine and the lives ruined by methamphetamine,” Phelps said.
Bonner County prosecutor Louis Marshall said the case serves as a deterrent and a demonstration of what a prolonged drug binge can cause.
“It does send a strong message that this will not be tolerated,” Marshall said.
Information from: Bonner County (Idaho) Daily Bee, http://www.bonnercountydailybee.com