MIAMI (AP) — Weather forecasters say Fred was the easternmost hurricane known to have formed in the Atlantic tropics, and the first to actually pass over the Cape Verde Islands as a hurricane.
The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami says Fred was downgraded to a tropical storm late Monday with maximum sustained winds of 70 mph (113 kph).
Heavy rain and strong winds were spreading over the northwestern islands. Gradual weakening is forecast over the next couple of days.
Meanwhile in the Pacific, Hurricane Jimena is centered about 1,230 miles (1979 kilometers) east of Hilo, Hawaii. The Category 4 storm has maximum sustained winds near 145 mph (233 kph). The hurricane doesn’t currently pose a threat to land.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hacker known as Max is 55-year-old woman from Russia, U.S. says
- A humpback whale swallowed a lobster diver whole and spit him out alive: 'It tried to eat me'
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- In California, the rapid creation of possibly the coolest new high school in America
- Two Montana sweethearts were fatally shot in 1956. The case was just solved.