OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Hundreds of people gathered for a weekend cookout in Oakland, California dubbed “BBQing While Black.” It is the latest response to a white woman’s now infamous call to police to report African Americans barbecuing at a public park.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the festival-like event Sunday on the shores of Lake Merritt was organized to rally against racism. Music played and vendors cooked up racks of ribs, sausages and chicken.
Three Sundays earlier at the same site, an unidentified woman called 911 to report a family using a charcoal barbecue.
A video posted on social media by an onlooker sparked a national conversation about racism.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Speaker McCarthy ousted in historic House vote, as scramble begins for a Republican leader
- She got chemo in WA and Alaska — and the price difference was a whopper
- Here's where all the cases against Trump stand as he campaigns for a return to the White House
- 28 years ago, a book club began reading a novel. It's finally reached the end
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The woman has been parodied on Saturday Night Live and the incident has become a social media meme with the hashtag #BBQBecky.