FLINTSTONE, Md. (AP) — Maryland State Police are investigating the discovery of human remains in a state forest in Allegany County.
Police said in a statement Tuesday that troopers received a report over the weekend from a person who was exploring in Green Ridge State Forest and found what he believed could be human remains.
The remains were transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy. State police say they cannot provide a description of the remains.
The statement says it wasn’t immediately clear how long the body had been in the woods.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Should Donald Trump be impeached? Americans organize to read Mueller report, reach their own conclusions
- How the rural-urban divide became America’s political fault line
An investigation is ongoing.