FLINTSTONE, Md. (AP) — Maryland State Police are investigating the discovery of human remains in a state forest in Allegany County.
Police said in a statement Tuesday that troopers received a report over the weekend from a person who was exploring in Green Ridge State Forest and found what he believed could be human remains.
The remains were transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy. State police say they cannot provide a description of the remains.
The statement says it wasn’t immediately clear how long the body had been in the woods.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Extra pilot saved doomed Lion Air jetliner on next-to-last flight
- DNA testing helps police confirm Ted Bundy killed missing Utah teen
- Kellyanne Conway dismisses her husband's concerns that President Trump's mental health is deteriorating
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Tens of thousands converge on California 'poppy apocalypse' VIEW
An investigation is ongoing.