SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) — Fire officials say a hoverboard sparked a house fire in Santa Rosa, California, that killed two dogs.
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports that the fire broke out Tuesday in a girl’s bedroom where the hoverboard was being charged.
Santa Rosa Fire Battalion Chief Mark Basque estimates the blaze caused $200,000 to $250,000 in damage.
The home was unoccupied except for the two dogs, a labradoodle and a Boston terrier, who died of apparent smoke inhalation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Key Largo is so flooded that crocodiles are swimming in the streets
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Ian lashes South Carolina as Florida's death toll climbs
- Trump records probe: Tensions flare over special master
- Marjorie Taylor Greene’s husband files for divorce after 27 years
The two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered devices have drawn criticism in recent months, as reports have come out across the country of them bursting into flames.