HOUSTON (AP) — A sign at a Houston elementary and middle school that sparked criticism on social media has been removed.
The Houston Independent School District says the sign that read, “The more you act like a lady, the more he’ll act like a gentleman,” was removed Friday night. The wall was patched and repainted.
The sign was above a row of lockers in a girls’ locker room at Gregory-Lincoln Education Center, a school covering kindergarten through eighth grade.
The sign drew attention on social media after a Houston resident posted a picture of it on Twitter . Critics on social media called the sign “victim-blaming” and misogynistic.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI conducted search at his Mar-a-Lago estate
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
Classes have not begun for the semester. According to the district’s website , the first day of school is Aug. 27.