BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A homeless man has pleaded not guilty to charges he followed an intoxicated woman home and raped her on a Vermont sidewalk.
Thirty-one-year-old Peter Handy entered the plea in Vermont Superior Court on Monday to charges of sexual assault without consent.
Investigators say Handy had the woman’s phone number written on a piece of paper in his backpack. They say the 20-year-old woman reported getting several phone calls from Handy after she was raped on Halloween on a Burlington sidewalk.
Handy was ordered held without bail until a Nov. 17 bail hearing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
- 2 Louisville officers shot amid Breonna Taylor protests VIEW
- Despite Trump attacks, both parties vow orderly election WATCH
- Massive genetic study shows coronavirus mutating and potentially evolving amid rapid U.S. spread
- How to create a pandemic pod for safe social interaction
His lawyer asked that the bail hearing be set to give him more time to research his client’s past.