BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A homeless man has pleaded not guilty to charges he followed an intoxicated woman home and raped her on a Vermont sidewalk.
Thirty-one-year-old Peter Handy entered the plea in Vermont Superior Court on Monday to charges of sexual assault without consent.
Investigators say Handy had the woman’s phone number written on a piece of paper in his backpack. They say the 20-year-old woman reported getting several phone calls from Handy after she was raped on Halloween on a Burlington sidewalk.
Handy was ordered held without bail until a Nov. 17 bail hearing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Cheney criticizes Trump's attempt to brand 2020 election 'the Big Lie,' sparking new calls for her to leave leadership
- Florida middle school killer dies in prison at 31
- A teenager mistakenly moved into a senior living complex. TikTok loves it.
- Affluent Americans rush to retire in new 'life-is-short' mindset
- Photo of Chauvin juror wearing BLM T-shirt at march raises questions of impartiality, experts say
His lawyer asked that the bail hearing be set to give him more time to research his client’s past.