BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A homeless man has pleaded not guilty to charges he followed an intoxicated woman home and raped her on a Vermont sidewalk.
Thirty-one-year-old Peter Handy entered the plea in Vermont Superior Court on Monday to charges of sexual assault without consent.
Investigators say Handy had the woman’s phone number written on a piece of paper in his backpack. They say the 20-year-old woman reported getting several phone calls from Handy after she was raped on Halloween on a Burlington sidewalk.
Handy was ordered held without bail until a Nov. 17 bail hearing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- FBI warned of large-scale nationwide protests by Trump supporters, but they fail to materialize
- Man lived inside Chicago's O’Hare airport for 3 months before detection, prosecutors say
- Trump prepares to offer clemency to more than 100 people in final hours in office
- Misinformation dropped dramatically the week after Twitter banned Trump
- Tribal elders are dying from the pandemic, causing a cultural crisis for American Indians VIEW
His lawyer asked that the bail hearing be set to give him more time to research his client’s past.