ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Georgia Congressman John Lewis will be among the speakers at the funeral of New York Congresswoman Louise Slaughter.
Slaughter’s office announced Wednesday that the dignitaries will join family and friends in speaking at Friday’s service at the Eastman Theatre in Rochester.
The 88-year-old Democrat died Friday at a Washington hospital after falling at her home the previous week.
Slaughter represented parts of western New York for 31 years and was the first woman to chair the House Rules Committee. She was her party’s top member on the panel when she died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court allows Jan. 6 committee to get Trump documents
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- Carhartt said vaccination remains mandatory for employees. A conservative backlash ensued
- Dentist killed his wife on an African hunting trip, U.S. says
- A Nike executive seeks a family’s forgiveness for a 1965 murder
Calling hours are Wednesday and Thursday at a Rochester funeral home. The funeral is set for the theater’s Kodak Hall and is open to the public.
This story has been corrected to show Slaughter’s first name was Louise, not Louis.