GREENVILLE, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi Delta high school football player has been seriously injured in a game.
Greenville High School Coach Sherrod Gideon tells WLBT-TV that Jeremiah Williams was injured Friday night while trying to make a tackle in a game in Greenville against Madison Central High School.
Williams is listed as a junior defensive back on the Greenville roster.
Gideon says Williams fractured two vertebrae in his neck. The coach says Williams received CPR on the field before he was taken by helicopter to the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, where he remains hospitalized Saturday and is on a ventilator.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A cure for Type 1 diabetes? For one man, it seems to have worked
- International travelers stranded, angry in omicron's wake: 'The first thing I did was cry'
- The best time to get a COVID booster shot: What the science tells us
- Firefighters launch tense rescue after pet tortoise traps pet dog in underground burrow
- Celebrated snowboarder Marko Grilc, 38, dies in accident at resort
The remainder of the game was cancelled.
Information from: WLBT-TV, http://www.wlbt.com